Wednesday, October 11, 2023

30-Day Writing Challenge Day 2: Break the Rules

(Day2: Write as if no rules matter, THEN analyze what's wrong with it)

"Wait! Driver! Please stop the bus!"

The Muni 22 bus pulled over and came to a stop with hazards on. Everybody remain seated, as I strode forward toward the panicking men with his two dogs, one of which is having a very bad reaction... 

Possibly of fentanyl overdose. 

The driver turned around, "What's going on?"

The dog parent was trying to feed water to the stricken dog in his arms. I can already see that the dog's breathing was extremely slow, and is not really responding to his parent.

I kneeled down and spoke to him directly, "Sir, sir! Listen to me. Your dog is having an overdose, probably opioid. I know it sounds crazy, but you need to get off the bus now, there's an emergency vet hospital that way, about 2.5 blocks." I pointed. 

"You can't miss it. In fact, let's go. Driver, door please?"

The doors hissed open. 

The dog parent leaped off, holding one dog and started jogging. The other dog followed, and I quickly followed as well, waving goodbye to the bus, as many of the passengers had offered water to the man and his dogs. The day was unusually warm in San Francisco. 

As I started to jog after them, I can hear the driver ordered everybody to sit back down so he can get back on the route. I wonder if they will order a cleaning of the bus... but I don't have time, as my shoes aren't really for running, and the dog parent had a good head start, I need to pay attention... 

We arrived at the pet hospital in only minutes, and the staff must have seen the panicked look in his eyes, and they were immediately directed to a room. I stayed only long enough to make sure the vet made the proper diagnosis, then I left. 

Sadly, I had a similar experience, except I lost something... someone... far more important to me... Who knew you can find fentanyl in a children's playground?  

I don't carry Narcan around because you still have to go to hospital afterwards. A lot of people thought Narcan will save you. It just buy you time to reach the hospital and higher level of care. But I guess I can. 

I am not sure what to feel the rest of the day... In a way it brought back some dark memories, but in another way there was a bit of redemption, or is it paying it forward? Or just building up karma? But saving someone else from potential trauma is... good right? 

Is that my purpose here? I'll have to think about that some more... 

Elsewhere. 

This is based on a possible true story posted to Reddit that I did not try to verify. I decided to just write a 1st person story based on one of the characters... the lady who gave the instructions. I did not plan it out in any way, just went in and told the story... with a couple extra "angles". So the narrative doesn't really have beginning, middle, climax, and end. And the first person feels a bit awkward, but as I said, no planning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment