Friday, April 22, 2022

Thousand Year Old Vampire 4: Game Moves 11-15

Move 11:  I rolled 8 and 6 respectively, so net move is +2. Was on 21, so I'm going to prompt 23. 

You master a strange new science or field of knowledge. How does your vampire nature give you special insight into these studies? Create an appropriate Skill based on a Memory. 

After encountering Jin in the cave (see Memory 13, which is Move 10) I seem to have gained the ability to "Calm child". Agitated children are calm in my presence. It is hard to notice, and most people attribute it to Sunflower, my companion/servant. But Sunflower knew it was me doing it, even as I told her to take credit, as to divert any attention from me. 

My skill list is now as follows: [X] swordsmanship, [X] archery, [X] charm/negotiation, [X] heal wounds, [X] I control the Beast, [X] Disguise the Beast, Calm Child

-----

Move 12: I rolled 1 and 6, so net move is -5. I am going to prompt 18

You have fed too long in one place, destroying a community or social group. Who were they? How did the last community member die? Gain a scavenged resource, lose a resource. 

We had gotten lost on the coast and only came upon a small fishing village upon sunrise. We had barely found shelter. After I have recovered somewhat, I talked to the lone fisherman. The next village is over a day's travel away... by water. He lived alone, and he prefer it that way. We talked, and turns out he used to be a military man, but refused a lawful order to kill civilians, and chose to leave it all behind. 

I convinced him to take us to that village, but halfway there my hunger can no longer be denied. I fed from him, and eased his drained body into the river's depths. During the process my charm from Sifu broke and fell into the river as well. I consider this an omen and did not attempt to recover it. 

We reached the village before sunrise and was accepted without question. We kept the boat, and became an informal passenger ferry around these parts serving several nearby fishing villages. Occasionally, I would feed upon one of the passengers who I judged to be evil, but that is another story.   

My inventory: sifu's sword, sifu's bracers, Peony's handkerchief, sifu's protective charm,  small boat

-----

Move 13: I rolled 8 and 6, so move is +2, prompt 20. 

There is a great shift in the way society moves goods. How does this work to your advantage? Check a skill. Create a skill based on a memory. 

One of the nearby villages became connected to an imperial road, and became a trade hub, and a lot of goods had to be moved across the river. Based on the memory of a similar system I observed in Memory 5, I helped construct a rope-based shuttle ferry to move goods across the river safely, and the village started charging a minor toll to save the merchants days on their journey. The village switched to more of a land-based economy, and they decided to give me a small cut of the tolls. 

To feed, I started picking off the occasional lone traveler. They will not be missed... much. 

I also found that I have developed a SLIGHT tolerance to the sun. As long as I stay in the shade I can stay awake during day-time, but I am much weaker than at night. 

My skill list is now as follows: [X] swordsmanship, [X] archery, [X] charm/negotiation, [X] heal wounds, [X] I control the Beast, [X] Disguise the Beast, Calm Child, Construction (Basic)

My inventory: sifu's sword, sifu's bracers, Peony's handkerchief, toll loyalties

-----

 Move 14, I rolled 10 and 5, so +5, prompt 25. 

Your methods for acquiring victims are no longer effective. What has changed? Lose a resource, and create a skill that describes your new feeding techniques. 

As the trade hub grew, the village became a town due to the toll, a new military outpost was established to prevent bandit raids. Unfortunately, this also prevented me from taking out lone travelers.  

I decided it is time to move on, so I asked for one of the larger vessels that remained in town, and decided to sail downriver and see what else is out there. By now, I've become a pretty decent river sailor. Usually, I play the servant while Sunflower plays the rich noblewoman. Sunflower found the situation hilarious, and I agree. We sometimes pick up a few scammers who believe us to be rich woman and his servant that can be robbed or scammed. I fed upon them easily, but I know soon we'll run out of river.

My skill list is now as follows: [X] swordsmanship, [X] archery, [X] charm/negotiation, [X] heal wounds, [X] I control the Beast, [X] Disguise the Beast, Calm Child, Construction (Basic), Ship Piloting (river)

My inventory: sifu's sword, sifu's bracers, Peony's handkerchief, toll loyalties

-----

Move 15, I rolled 9 and 2, +7, prompt 32

You keep a prisoner. Why this particular person? Why don't you feed upon them? Create a Character and a skill related to keeping them captive. 

We picked up a man and 2 women the other day, and one of the women looked so much like Peony I almost called out. But this is only a coincidence. My Peony was long dead, killed by Baron Wong, many many years ago. But I remained distracted. 

It wasn't until Sunflower yelled out that I recovered. Turns out they are robbing us, once we got to the middle of the river. Unfortunately for them, I had taught Sunflower much of what I know, and even unarmed, she was more than a match for the armed woman, while not-Peony wasn't sure who to help, as I fought the man, looking for his weakness. And I found it a second later as he swung wide and missed. I batted his knife hand aside, pushed in, and bit his throat.  Sunflower used that moment of distraction to knock out her opponent, Not-Peony froze in fear, unable to believe what she saw, But when I dropped the now dead man, she snapped out of her paralysis and try to dive over the side. Unfortunately for her, I was faster. I snatched her out of mid-air and slammed her onto the boat deck, then pinned her to the floor. I ordered Sunflower to tie her up. Sunflower hesitated for a moment, as this was new to me, but obeyed. I fed upon the other female in view of Not-Peony, then ordered Sunflower to knock her out. 

Sunflower asked me what was going on, and I told her Peony's story. She asked me what am I going to do with Not-Peony here, and I told her I don't know, but I can't kill her. She jokingly offered to do it for me, and I got angry and mentally ordered her to forget about it. Sunflower stagged and almost fainted. I caught her and eased her into a seat. She asked what happened? I asked what did you remember? She seems to have forgotten a little bit of the recent past. This appears to be a new skill I discovered, which I will call "mesmerize". 

We took care of the two bodies. 

Later, with a bit of tuning on Sunflower, I was able to order non-Peony to forget about what she saw onboard, and convince her that her two companions had left her behind in my care. She is my prisoner, even if she does not know it. But I don't want to kill her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment